Land Use Plan
The Smithers Regional Airport, located 5 km northwest of the Town of Smithers, occupies approximately 340 hectares of land adjacent to the north side of Yellowhead Highway 16. The Smithers Regional Airport is part of a regional air system that links domestic and international services. It is also the furthest North registered Airport with scheduled commercial passenger and charter flights.
The airport land represents a unique development opportunity for future airport related activities due to its proximity to regional markets and airside, road and rail links, including Yellowhead Highway 16.
The Smithers advantage includes affordable lease rates, diversified local economy, low cost of living, access to affordable housing, world class recreation and tourism opportunities and government services.
- 7,544 ft (2,299 m) long x 150 ft (45.7 m) wide runway
- Recent runway upgrades
- Terminal building expansion underway
- Easy access to Yellowhead Highway 16 & 5 km from the Town of Smithers
- 340 hectares of Airport land
- 23.2 hectares of groundside lands available for development
- 19 .5 hectares of airport lands available for aviation and airport industrial development
- Private Instrument Approaches Designs have been completed and submitted to Nav Canada for approval and publication.
- Regional Population: 11,000
- Trading Area: 22,000
- Population Growth Rate: 4%
- Median income is above BC Provincial average.
- Over $60 billion slated in new projects in NW BC with Smithers at the centre of activity.
- YYD has 75,000-80,000 passengers annually
- Traffic volume on Yellowhead Highway 16: 6,400 vehicles/day.